As I tucked Spen into bed tonight, he tried mightily to persuade me it was his turn to sleep in my bed, not Abby's. I disagreed, but he kept trying, going at it from every angle, doing his level best to convince me.
Finally I said, "Spen. I'm the boss. It's not your night. It's Abby's."
He responded, as sweet as pie, "That's just how it is, right, Mom? We're the little workers and you're the boss."
Yes. That's just how it is. You. The WORKERS. Me. The BOSS. Haha.
He wasn't criticizing, he wasn't upset, he was merely observing. Figuring out how things work around here. How we each have a role in our little family unit. And he accepted it without a fuss.
"Or, it's like we're all leopards, and you're the mom leopard and you take care of us and you get our food and you protect us and you grab us by our fur and wring our necks sometimes."
EXACTLY. Exactly like that.
Finally I said, "Spen. I'm the boss. It's not your night. It's Abby's."
He responded, as sweet as pie, "That's just how it is, right, Mom? We're the little workers and you're the boss."
Yes. That's just how it is. You. The WORKERS. Me. The BOSS. Haha.
He wasn't criticizing, he wasn't upset, he was merely observing. Figuring out how things work around here. How we each have a role in our little family unit. And he accepted it without a fuss.
"Or, it's like we're all leopards, and you're the mom leopard and you take care of us and you get our food and you protect us and you grab us by our fur and wring our necks sometimes."
EXACTLY. Exactly like that.



4 comments:
I seriously love that kid! He's got the program down and knows what's going on!!!
Way to know your place, bud. It's all about the system!
I like Mama Leopard. That is so hilarious. "Sometimes wring our necks." Haha.
What a smart little fellow! I love this! (I think Eli might be under the mistaken impression that HE is the boss at our house. I shall read this post out loud to him later...)
Marx and Engels are officially banned from your household, unless you're prepared to deal with the rise of the working class.
Post a Comment