A few months ago we instituted a new segment of our nighttime routine -- the Say One Nice Thing. I borrowed the idea from a friend of mine who lost her son this past spring; at his funeral she talked about how much this particular routine meant to her son and how grateful she was they'd started it.
It works like this: each night, we take turns saying the nighttime family prayer, and afterwards, everyone else has to say one nice thing about the person who prayed. It's been always entertaining, sometimes frustrating, and oftentimes healing.
At the end of a hard day, who doesn't want to know that no matter what, your family loves you?
One of the conditions is that it has to be specific -- no saying "One nice thing about Abby is that she's nice." We all have the chance to reflect on the day and focus on the good in each other.
Spen has two contributions that we've forbidden him from using anymore because he said them so often, and about anyone:
1) One nice thing about [insert name here] is that she/he is good at make-up
2) One nice thing about [insert name here] is that she/he is good at nails
Pretty hilarious when Zach says the prayer.
Sometimes it's frustrating to watch the kids struggle to say something nice about their siblings, but thus far, they've all been able to come up with something. Until tonight.
I said the prayer and everyone said their bit, except for Abby. She cocked her head, squinted her eyes and said, "You know, Mom, we've been doing this for like 5 months, and I think that for you, we've pretty much covered it."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Doesn't that just make you feel so good about your mothering skills? That reminds me of the time Conner made me a lovely mother's day card that said, "I love you, mom, and you're really nice, most of the time."
Maybe we should start a support group.
Motherhood is so worth it! That pretty much sounds like my day as I hear - I didn't have a problem until I came home and saw you! - Dinner, anyone? Oh yeah...after hearing all that i left them and went out for dinner....I'm sure that left them feeling rosy fine, so I guess I am in on the support group.
Another laugh out loud from me. I just love how honest kiddos can be. I love this idea. I may have to steal it. We can always use more positive comments around our house.
Super cute idea...hysterical comment!! Love to read about you guys...always keeps me smiling!!
Cara, soon you'll be signing your book deal and retiring from these moments/life of hilarity. ;oD In the meantime, thank you, oh thank you! for writing them down and for saying so when my stuff resonates with you.
Hugs and thoughts back at ya.
(Is it too much to confess that I think of you a little bit like a kinda sorta cyber-sister-in-arms? Too much? Probably, but I don't know when I'll ever be back to visit your neck of the woods so it's not like I can actually stalk you or anything. I hope that sounds as amusing "out loud" as it did in my head...)
Cara,
I think you are such an amazing person! I know I have told you that before. You really are. I love reading your blog. I always always get a good laugh & you always inspire me to do a little bit better:)
That is way to funny!! My favorite is "this is boring." But they will remember it when they are older, and parents them selves.
Just be glad it took 5 months, my boys would be at loss by night 2! That made my day!
Post a Comment