Sunday, May 25, 2008

Artiste

As part of the end of school wrap-up festivities, the entire first grade at our elementary school had an art show. Over the course of the year, the students learned about different artists and their respective styles and then recreated famous artwork for display. Each classroom was an exhibit room and there were signs that said "This Exhibit Generously on Loan from Mrs. Petersen's Class."
My heroic mother had several commitments that evening, so she had to go through before we did, so she called me after she left and reminded me to bring my camera. Just so I could appear to be an on-top-of-things mother. See? She's truly heroic. She makes all of us look good. So, yes, I took all these myself!
Some older girls were serving crackers and cheese, cream puffs or cold drinks on silver trays and, if possible, we were supposed to dress up. Rachel was very proud of her work and was very charming and cute, directing us from exhibit to exhibit. We're truly lucky to have such good teachers.
This is the Da Vinci exhibit and Rachel's self-portrait. You should have seen some of the portraits -- I wonder how much we should read into these images. Do some kids really think they have pointy teeth that go completely around their mouth like sharks? Do they just wish they did? What is that?
There's a little boy in Rachel's class that I am in love with -- his parents and I have already drafted a betrothal agreement. We're not kidding either. Those two are just going to have to get used to the idea that they are soul mates. And, let's be honest, as parents who truly love their children, we're in a much better position to make that decision anyway! His parents put the two pre-lovebirds' self-portraits next to each other and took a picture . . . we've got to have plenty of good shots for the wedding slideshow!!
My favorite exhibit was Michelangelo -- the kids taped their papers to the underside of their desks and drew while laying on their backs, as though they were painting the Sistine Chapel! Rachel said that was the hardest thing EVER.

1 comment:

rebekahmott said...

That is way cool!! Nolan is way into art, I hope that he has a neat art teacher that tries different things and makes it fun! But should I say lets see we are in Rancho Cordova soooooooo maybe mommy will have to do that.