Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Swearing (In)

I am official. Friday was the Swearing In ceremony for everyone who passed the February bar exam. My parents checked my kids out of school, changed them into clean, matching outfits and brought them down to Salt Lake to watch me raise my right hand and promise to not steal my clients' money and to not sleep with them. Those two are pretty much the main ethical rules, right?

We had no camera (Dick and Sara are in Mexico and we're, well, us) so my friend Leslie's husband took a bunch of great pictures for me.

My mom got emotional, but I think she was just trying to make up for the marathon. My boss was there, since we were also admitted to the federal bar, and he GRINNED at me as he walked to his seat on the podium. None of the other judges grinned! That's right, he loves me. Well, that or he's so happy I passed because firing me at this point would be kind of awkward. I only have 3 more months in chambers.

I cross-referenced the program with the people in my bar review class and very nearly everyone passed. RHGIMBRC was there. Being the genius that I am, I totally cut in line so I was standing right behind him. His two beautiful daughters stood by him while his equally beautiful wife took pictures. There may be a couple of shots where I perhaps possibly look like I'm supposed to be in the picture . . . mostly because I slid in behind his one daughter, looked directly into the camera and smiled. I think I refrained from actually putting my arm around her. I don't know, it may have happened. Maybe they didn't notice.

Clearly, it was a good day and I finally feel done. Even though I still may take the California bar and I have to do the patent bar as well . . . at least I'm legally able to dispense advice now. Advice like, "Um, yea, you probably should call an attorney about that. I can give you a couple of names."

5 comments:

rebekahmott said...

I am so proud of you. You deserve so much happiness!!!! And even in a serious moment you are able to find humor, thanks for the laugh.

The Bornies said...

YAAAAAAAAAA!! Super cool! We could always use a good lawyer at our house...NO JOKE!! Congrats!!!!!
Sonni

terandfamily said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You are amazing!

Cassandra said...

Yay for Cara! Congrats!

randi said...

YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! So when are we heading to Hawaii to celebrate?