Saturday, September 13, 2008

Realizations regarding our social status

It's State Fair time again.

We hadn't had enough white trash in our lives as of late, so last Monday for FHE, we loaded up and headed over to the west side. It was Family Night, so everything was half price or free, yet somehow, dinner cost as much as airfare to Denver. It was our "activity week" for FHE, which alternates with "lesson week." One guess as to which gets the more enthusiastic response. I'm just saying.


We rode the rides and ate the food (seriously, NINE dollars for a Navajo taco? What are they made out of? Cheese and flour laced with gold?) and watched the people. While there were a handful of folks like us, most people appeared to have ridden the Fun Bus over from Magna.

Wow. Nothing like a little elitist judgmentality, eh? Nice sentiment for an FHE. That's some good parenting right there.

But, hey, let's be honest. Get an eyeful of this masterpiece of dressing:

He was gigantic, but I didn't really think through the implications of that until after I stopped dead in my tracks, whipped out my phone and quickly snapped this lovely shot. From five feet away. If he'd turned around and caught me, there would have been absolutely no plausible explanation. None. And he totally could have killed me. With one hand.

Spen found what he wants for Christmas (hint, hint, Grandpa B!) and we reenacted my favorite part of the move Grease -- you know, the part when they're at the end of school fair and Sandy is all hookered-up and she and Danny go on that Fun House thing, with the moving stairs and the rolling barrel. Sorry, Dad, I know you hate how she gets all trashy at the end and you wish I'd never watched it because you hated the whole Whore Makeover sequence and you really wish I'd been fixated on the Sandra Dee in saddle shoes and a pink skirt, instead of the Sandy in black and red high heels.

Holy whip!! An epiphany! My red shoe fetish! That's where it comes from! Sandy totally wears red heels at the end! Man. So many things make sense now. Clearly that movie has informed way too many choices in my life.

Zach played the part of Danny Zuko, dressed by Old Navy . . . and he sure was funny trying to get all the way around in this thing.

A couple of weeks ago, we went to the Demolition Derby at the Davis County fair with some friends from our neighborhood. What does this say? We seem to be attending a lot of white trash functions. Good thing Spen isn't a baby anymore. Odds are you'd see him roaming the neighborhood, barefoot and wearing only a diaper, with a bottle clenched between his teeth.

On that note, here are some pictures of us at the derby. As for the white trash evaluation, take a good look Budweiser Ben there at the end. I'm just saying.

1 comment:

rebekahmott said...

jkYour to funny!! Nolan and Max looked at the pictures when I was on. They kept saying I want to go to the fair. White trash maybe, but you know how to have fun!!!