Wednesday, September 17, 2008

+ and -

On the MINUS side we have:

1) I can't make the elevator card swiping thing work consistently. In fact, it would be most accurate to say that it consistently does NOT work. It's gets kind of embarrassing, riding up and down in the elevator all day long, stopping at main reception on the 10th floor, for the 27th time in an hour. Hey there Julie! Me again!

Today one of the paralegals demonstrated a technique she swears by -- it involves a lot of artistic-looking card swooping, incantations to the Elevator Gods, and deep knee bends. So, clearly, that's a lot less embarrassing than riding up and down until someone else gets the 8th floor button to light up.

2) The construction guys who are currently replacing the ceiling on 8, or the floor on 9, or possibly both, right outside my door. I particularly love how they yell at each other all day long. Because apparently, this particular subcontractor only hires people who are hard of hearing. And super chatty.

3) No progress yet on the DMD situation. My friend offered to buy me a mini-fridge. I was sorely tempted to take her up on her offer. However, maybe that's what I'll buy with my next paycheck. Right after I get a NASCAR sticker for my car and a beer hat.

Today for the first time I left the building to go to Mav during the workday. Of course, it was my long day, so I'd already billed 9.5 hours before I went. And I lost count of how many cans I drank between the Morning DMD and the Afternoon DMD. Thank goodness for Melanie -- she drove to Mav instead of making me. See Number 4.

4) My assigned parking lot is approximately 17 miles away from my office. Which is nice, particularly since I wear heels a lot. I've started bringing flip flops for the "commute." Speaking of commute, it takes me 21 minutes to drive from my house to my parking spot and 12 minutes to walk from my parking spot to my office. That's almost half an hour in lost billing time just in walking. DANG IT!!! "Lost billing time?" I have been assimilated by the Borg.

On the PLUS side we have:

1) I have an east-facing office, so I get to watch the sunrise every morning and I can use the window as mirror to reapply my lipstick after my morning snack. Until noon. After that, the sun is all wrong. Also, I get to watch the ongoing work on the old Hansen Planetarium, one of my favorite buildings in the valley. That is, I get to glance at it as I turn from my computer to my desk. Turn. There it is. Back to work. You know, lost billing time and all.

2) I'm on the 8th floor, so if we have a disaster, I have at least a fighting chance of making it down the stairs before the building collapses. Those suckers up on 20? They're totally dead. I should say, however, that I only have a fighting chance if I can find the stairs. It's like a freaking maze in there. And we're the lab rats.

3) I'm genuinely enjoying the work. At least, I did today. I got to write, which I like, and as of yet, nobody has yelled at me for doing stuff wrong. I keep getting assignments so I guess things are going well. It's hard to say. They asked me to fill out my benefits paperwork, so I suppose that's a pretty good indication that they're planning on me sticking around for at least a little while.

4) Saying things like, "Oh no, I'm not a secretary, I'm a litigator at an intellectual property firm. No, I swear that I am. Let me show you my bar card. Hey, look at it, dang you. Yes, it's real."

There really are more than just four pluses, but it's nearly midnight already. All that caffeine and I still struggle with the 20+ hour days. Lightweight.

7 comments:

Jennie said...

You are doing an amazing job. I am sure the long days are killer. Thanks for making me lol. I can always count on you to make me smile. In your spare time (I know - what spare time) you still need to write your mommy memoires or something. It would be a best seller for sure.

rebekahmott said...

It was fun to read this one.You are so funny. Of course all of them are fun to read, I just love your stories.The parking deal sounds like college parking. 20 hour days really???????? May the force be with you!!!!

a.t.a said...

You crack me up! Good talk by the way!

Cheerfully Charmed said...

Baaaaaaaaaaaaha ha ha! Hey LOSER! (only kidding) Your blog ALWAYS brighten my day! Thanks for making me laugh!

Wanna be farm girl said...

so the 30 pound challenge...with your twelve minute walk/run in heels...you will totally look smokin!!!!!! wear knee pads just in case.....a crack jumps up. save your pants and an explanation of the blood seeping through to the partners.... and the construction guys!

aunt dyanne said...

Hey Cara... i have a mini-fridge that is so small you could hide it in a drawer, or under your desk..it only holds 6 cans! You're welcome to borrow it until the break-room dude catches a clue!

The Plewe Clan said...

You are hilarious...again another awesome entry!It sounds like your job is keeping you busy! I bought tim a mini fridge that he keeps in his office filled with diet soda...he started locking it b/c the cleaning crew were taking soda out at night! Do it so you have all the DMD that you need to keep you going during the day.