The other kids are all settled in -- everyone is at the same school for the first and last time ever in our lives. Next year, Zach moves on to junior high (!!!!!!) and they'll never all be in the same place again. We're so lucky to live in an area with such great schools. Our teachers are all fantastic and, luckily for us, they love us!!
I had my first day of work Tuesday and I was so keyed up that I didn't sleep at all on Monday night. I don't mean that I only slept for a couple of hours, I don't mean that I only slept fitfully, I mean that I did not SLEEP AT ALL. Not one wink. I saw every single minute tick by, all night long. Finally, at 5 a.m., I got up, even though I didn't have to be there until 9 a.m.
Of course I stopped at Mav on my way in, for my morning fix, but I didn't have a chance to get another drink all day, because I have yet to scope out where I can get DMD on tap close to the office. So by four o'clock in the afternoon, I was absolutely exhausted. Which was right about the time that one of the super-important litigation partners sat me down for a lengthy explanation of my first project. And I totally fell asleep. Not sort of. Totally. So totally that he actually said to me, more than once, "Cara? Cara? Are you ok?"
Holy whip.
I tried to play it off (unsuccessfully) by saying that I was just listening carefully, but how completely ridiculous is that? Since when does "listening carefully" look like this: closed eyes, slack-jawed, and leaning noticably to the left? Hopefully I didn't drool. Or snore. Anyway, he gave me another project on Wednesday and several more today, so if they're going to fire me, at least they'll have to pay me for this week. Which is nice. We'll be able to stay in the house for another month.
And our new bedtime is 5:45 p.m.
And, assuming that I'm still employed after tomorrow, I am going to flirt shamelessly with the guy who stocks the breakroom fridges so he'll start putting DMD in there instead of plain old MD. Because not having a drink all day long totally does not work.



10 comments:
I'm glad you like your job... minus the whole falling asleep thing. Too funny!
from one caffine addict to another: hang in there, I know how you feel. - Kels
5:45 bedtime is awesome...I'm implementing today! My rule is if you do it, so will I. I showed Nathan the cute picture of Rachel and he said, "COOL!" We're still on course.
How fun is that to have all your kids in school. I can not belive that spen is that old. Of course your kids are loved by there teachers your kids are way loveable!!! Have a super fun time with the new job!!
i am laughing out loud reading your description of falling asleep. you are so funny and fun! glad you still have your job as of now. hope it is better than you thought.
Cara,
I was googling folks, actually looking for Troy Dedecker to see if he ended up in Marine Biology, looking for a mentor for one of my students, I tried some other folks and got your blog. Looks like you are having a heck of a life. Good job there. I'm out in Wisco and doing well. Check out my webpage, http://teachers.oregon.k12.wi.us/cowan/aboutcowan.htm
Hello, I'm waiting to see a post on how you like your new job!
Cara, you truly are blessed with the gift of humor in writing. 5:45PM bedtime - I laughed out loud. Hope you still have the job and are enjoying it.
MDA
There's no way you really zonked in the middle of a conversation with one of your new boss-guys...that is too rich. A quick word of advice: I used to visit the Sandman from time to time on the stand at Church. When you come to, and you realize, "holy crap, I can't believe I just fell asleep!" play it cool and slow, and as you re-establish eye contact, just start nodding your head and go with a facial expression that says, "Yeah, that's right, I hadn't thought of that before." People only busted me for nodding off about two-thirds of the time, so I figure its better than fessing up to the fact this person has literally bored you to sleep. Just don't start secretly spraying a shot or two of Red Bull into your Diet Mt Dews...because that is a road from which no man has ever returned unscathed.
Glad to see you and yours are keeping well. Drop me a line some time...I actually have my Mom's address to give to you! I just don't want to leave it here on your blog...who knows what kind of creepy weirdos there are lurking in the shadows of Scarlettocara!
Like that Chris Cowan and Marty Asay...I'll bet those guys are total perverts!
Post a Comment