I can’t believe you’re eight years old. You’re our diva. You always have been. Heaven knows you don’t get your love of makeup and all things girl from me. Or your dad. We don't know where you get it, but we can always count on you to be the princess.
You’ve loved to dress up your whole life. Everything about you is tiny, except for your personality. And your heart. And your smile. Ok, maybe only a few things are tiny. You were a teeny little baby, not the smallest in the family, but certainly dainty. You walked earlier than anyone else, which was exceptionally adorable because you were just this little teensy thing, running around after the big kids like you were one of them. And now you are.
You have the most hilarious bed head. When you were little, I used to fix your hair like Cindy Lou Who, in two little pigtails on top of your head. When your dad got home from work, you’d hear his car and go running out the back door and across our deck, your little piggies bouncing as you ran.
You’ve always been crazy about your dad. In your eyes, he's the strongest, smartest, nicest, funniest guy ever. Which is exactly how it should be. I hope with all my heart that you always feel that way about your dad.
This month you made the choice to be baptized, to become an official member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You were so lovely in your white dress, and you knew it. We are so proud of you for choosing to be baptized. We’re so proud of you for all the good choices you make.
Every single grown-up who meets you falls immediately in love with you. I've had more than one person tell me that they prefer you for a playmate for his or her children because you're such a good kid, you always have good manners and you're not bratty. You know how I feel about the bratty!!
Countless times I've needed something completely random -- nail clippers, extra keys, a toothpick -- and you've had it in your purse. You're going to be the most prepared Mom ever, because you always, always, ALWAYS have your purse and it's always fully stocked. The rest of us don't know how you have the strength to haul all of your stuff around, you're so little.
You're the best eater in our house. You happily eat whatever I make for dinner. Even if it's something new, or you really don't like it, you willingly try it. And usually end up scarfing it down. I'm not sure where you put all that food; it must go straight to your Purse Hauling Reserves.
There's an amusing conflict in you that I know has its roots in genetics. On the one hand, you're a confirmed packrat. You save everything. Your dresser gets completely out of control sometimes and we used to have to bring in a backhoe to clear out underneath your bed. On the other hand, you are the best cleaner ever. You willingly tackle any mess and quickly get things organized and sparkling. I'm not sure what this means for your future. Hopefully, you'll save important things like kindergarten artwork and mementos from a first haircut, and you'll have a special place for each of them.
When you were only four months old, your big brother Zach nicknamed you "Peaches." We still call you that, along with Baby Girl and RayBay. I remember being so scared when I found out you were joining our family, I thought there was no way I could mother a third baby, and now I can't imagine what I'd do without you.

You’ve loved to dress up your whole life. Everything about you is tiny, except for your personality. And your heart. And your smile. Ok, maybe only a few things are tiny. You were a teeny little baby, not the smallest in the family, but certainly dainty. You walked earlier than anyone else, which was exceptionally adorable because you were just this little teensy thing, running around after the big kids like you were one of them. And now you are.
You have the most hilarious bed head. When you were little, I used to fix your hair like Cindy Lou Who, in two little pigtails on top of your head. When your dad got home from work, you’d hear his car and go running out the back door and across our deck, your little piggies bouncing as you ran.
This month you made the choice to be baptized, to become an official member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You were so lovely in your white dress, and you knew it. We are so proud of you for choosing to be baptized. We’re so proud of you for all the good choices you make.
Every single grown-up who meets you falls immediately in love with you. I've had more than one person tell me that they prefer you for a playmate for his or her children because you're such a good kid, you always have good manners and you're not bratty. You know how I feel about the bratty!!
Countless times I've needed something completely random -- nail clippers, extra keys, a toothpick -- and you've had it in your purse. You're going to be the most prepared Mom ever, because you always, always, ALWAYS have your purse and it's always fully stocked. The rest of us don't know how you have the strength to haul all of your stuff around, you're so little.
You're the best eater in our house. You happily eat whatever I make for dinner. Even if it's something new, or you really don't like it, you willingly try it. And usually end up scarfing it down. I'm not sure where you put all that food; it must go straight to your Purse Hauling Reserves.
There's an amusing conflict in you that I know has its roots in genetics. On the one hand, you're a confirmed packrat. You save everything. Your dresser gets completely out of control sometimes and we used to have to bring in a backhoe to clear out underneath your bed. On the other hand, you are the best cleaner ever. You willingly tackle any mess and quickly get things organized and sparkling. I'm not sure what this means for your future. Hopefully, you'll save important things like kindergarten artwork and mementos from a first haircut, and you'll have a special place for each of them.
Love you super much, Baby Girl.




5 comments:
Just have to say, as one of the members of the "divorce" club, that I love how you reference her "dad", I love that she is allowed to love him no matter what and she knows it. I so wish all moms in similar situations were as perceptive and AWESOME as you no matter what they have been through. Such a good example to me.
Happy Birthday and Congratulations "Miss Ray" as I called you in pre-school. You are such a sweetheart (I would have to admit - my favorite lil classmate) I remember when the "wash bucket" tipped over one day and COMPLETELY doused you- emptied right in your face and down the front and in your lap! You were such a good sport about it. Any other kid in the class would have pitched a major FIT! You just said, oh well, accidents happen - and we called Grandma to bring some dry clothes. What a great example you are, even to grown-ups to show that it doesn't do any good to get upset over things we can't control.
Keep being you amazing cute self - I admire and love you so much!
love, "Mrs. A."
That is an amazing letter to Racheal. Very nice to read!!!
oh my gosh how did that happen! sorry we missed the baptism. what an increadible, fun loving, kind, and beautiful girl! big hugs to you all.
Rachel is one of my very favorite 8year olds!! I can't wait for 20 years down the road to see what a wonderful woman she becomes. Because, as you know, I'll be there.
Post a Comment