Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Halloween because it's December

So I haven't posted Halloween pictures yet. Why? Because I'm lame.

Here. Dude.

Spen is a knight from Narnia. Rocking the sword. I'm not even going to pretend to be objective, I think he's adorable. Now he wants this costume in the dress-up box so he can wear it every day. Fine by me.

Zach is a voting booth, since Halloween was immediately followed by the most important presidential election in history. He had bags attached under each opening -- one for Obama, one for McCain, and one for himself, that door answerers were supposed to put candy in to cast their vote. Since we live in perhaps the most Republican county, in the most Republican state, you'd think that McCain would have won by a landslide. However, we have truly good-hearted souls in our neighborhood, and Mr. Zach took the election by storm.

DISCLAIMER: The above-paragraph is in no way meant to be a political statement, other than to acknowledge the absolute fact that we're a very red state. I'm not making political statements on this blog. This blog is about peace, love, understanding, and occasionally, my drinking habits.

Abby was a cheetah. For some reason, she was very concerned about how much costumes cost, so she wore a pair of pajamas and painted her face. Total cost: $2.79. Not that I minded, I just didn't want her to be disappointed. But she insisted that she really wanted be a cheetah (much better than a Cheetah_Girl) and when we put her hair up in buns for the ears, she was thrilled with the overall look. Also being Not Objective Mom: she's beautiful.

Rachel is a dancer. I must confess to a little freak-out in my head when she declared her costume choice this year. A dancer? Like, with a pole? And pasties? Or tassles? Where did I go wrong, my dear second daughter? But no, she also just wanted to save money on the costuming thing and opted for an old outfit of Abby's from her days at Jean Taylor Studio 1. Secretly, she just wanted to wear as much makeup as possible and she figured this was a good avenue. That's right, Rach, I'm totally on to you.

Zach ended up only hitting a few houses in our neighborhood before coming home to hand out candy with me. Which was bittersweet. I loved having the company, but I can't believe my little boy is big enough to skip the Annual Candy Quest. Rachel and Abby went with their friends because they think they're big too. Rich came down and walked around with Spen. Shout out to my neighbors for making that as unawkward as possible. Especially you, Maureen.

I dressed up as Good Sandy from the movie Grease. The impact that movie has had on me has been addressed here before, however, this year was particularly poignant. My friend Dan (this_friend) and his girlfriend went to our branch Christmas party as Sandy and Danny at the end of Grease. If you'll recall, Sandy's gone kind of vampy at the end.

Good Sandy = single and at home dropping paper towels in the kiddie pool in her nightgown OR eating/handing out snack-sized Snickers bars to trick-or-treaters

Bad Sandy = literally taking off into the sunset in a red flying car with Danny Zuko at the wheel OR out on the town with a good-looking guy in a black leather jacket

Halloween 2008 -- success.

2 comments:

Jer, Er and kids said...

Well you did beat me to it...I still haven't posted Halloween or Fall for that matter...maybe this week. LOVE all the costumes and your cute kids. I meant to tell you that Spen was here the other morning and he and Jackson went into the "snow" to play mind you the little skiff on the sidewalk and grass did nothing but soak them both. They came in and said we NEED hot chocolate, well of course they do so I head to the pantry and we have none. Annie had previously attempted to make it on her own so half a can at least went up the vacuum and we were out. So Spen in all his wisdom said, "There are only 2 things to make a cold person happy (with his 2 little fingers in the air), hot chocolate and a hot fire place". After this statement he looks around and goes "where is your fireplace?". I am wondering the same thing Spen and dang I wish I had one. I just thought it was really cute and wanted to pass it on to you! Hope you are doing well!!!

Lindsay Cutler said...

Ok honestly...i mean HONESTLY... Cara- I can HONESTLY say that I have never in my entire life seen anyone be a better mom than you. I cannot BELIEVE your kids costumes!!!!!!! WOW. The voting booth????? Holy cow. You amaze me everytime I look at your blog and I totally think the world of you. I am so not creative.. When I have kids one day I think I may just wrap them in tin-foil and call them like dinner leftovers or something. You are so incredible. Hope you had a great halloween, and have a fabulous merry christmas! :-)