If I were a good daughter/computer geek I would have scanned in their engagement picture and included it in this post. But since I'm neither one of those things...I'll just have to put up this.
So 36 years. That's an accomplishment, don't you think? I certainly do, for obvious reasons!!
This picture is appropriate though, as a snapshot of my parents' lives. First, they are a team. They always have been. Not good when you're a kid and in trouble (seriously, they NEVER let us play both sides!) but very good otherwise. Second, they spend their lives lifting, helping, carrying, supporting, etc., etc. Particularly their grandchildren. They're making the famed "Princess Chair" for Rachel -- I wish they were strong enough to carry me that way. Sadly, the arms of someone strong enough to carry me that way would preclude shirt-wearing. Third, they are still very much in love with each other, even after 36 years. It's kind of a family joke (I say " kind of" because sometimes it's funny and sometimes it isn't) that my dad won't spend even 30 seconds away from my mom, unless he's compelled by work, church or ... or ... hmmm. I've sat here for a full 5 minutes, trying to think of a third thing, because that list somehow needs three things....but I can't think of anything. My dad would choose to be with my mom over absolutely anything else in the world. How amazing would that be?

Here's one I lifted from Sara's flickr site. I hope my mom doesn't look at this. She'll hate it. Hey!! I'm starting to put something together here.....the lack of a camera at all family events? My MOM'S FAULT!! She hates her picture taken so dang much and isn't above threatening serious bodily injury to anyone who dares point a lens in her direction. Sara is SO indulged; she has no idea how lucky she is that my mom loves her so much!
Our church publishes this newspaper insert called, appropriately enough, The Church News. Oftentimes, they'll include a little article about a couple who has reached their 70th wedding anniversary. Guess what, Mom and Dad? You're more than halfway there! I used to read those articles and think, "Someday, that's going to be me. Since I never got to be in The Friend (lifelong dream, unfulfilled), I'm going to be in The Church News, as an old, happy, married person. " Unless I chop chop, I'm going to have to live to be 129 years old.


2 comments:
The first time I met your parents was when Steve and I were ring shopping. We ran into them at Crossroads Mall while they were trying to decide whether to go to Florida that afternoon. As we parted I turned to Steve and asked if that conversation was for real. He laughed and said with a grin, "Yep, and you're going to love them". He was right!!
Oh your parents are great!
The first time I met your parents I felt like I knew them forever. Everytime I look at the books you gave me for Nolan. I think of how fun they are. Congrates to them!!!
Post a Comment