Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Conflicted

I got an offer from a Salt Lake firm.

I've already called my closest friend and mentor in San Diego to get some advice on how to extricate myself from that commitment, but I haven't yet made the fateful phone call to the head of the recruiting committee. And I would be lying if I said I wasn't just a little tiny bit sad. Can you blame me? San Diego . . . perfect weather, relatively conservative population, fantastic firm, very reasonable billing hour requirement . . . there's a lot of draw there. However, my gut tells me staying here is the best choice for my kids. So . . . we stay.

Can you sense the conflictedness (not a word, I know) in my tone? It's there.

Which isn't to say I'm not happy, because I am. The firm I will be joining is a great firm; it's the biggest intellectual property boutique firm in the valley and they have the best work available in the state.

Ironically, all during law school I swore up and down that I would never, ever, EVER work at this particular firm. Hmm. Imagine that. Who knew that my_angel was writing down things I said about ME, not just stuff I said about my kids? Stop being such an over-achiever, Dear Angel.

This is all going to work out.

Right?

Talking about having faith is like 350,000,000,000 times easier than actually having it.

3 comments:

The Bornies said...

WOW...Hard one Cara. Your heart knows the right choice, I have no doubt about that. (and from a selfish standpoint, I'm glad you aren't moving)
Sonni

The Plewe Clan said...

You will make the right decision! That DARN angel!

Jay said...

Get real! You and I both know that we swore we would work for Burger King after law school because that's all we're qualified for. A real offer from a firm? Is it a law firm? Insane! Besides, we all said we wouldn't work for big and fancy and prestigious firms because we knew we had a snowball's chance in hell of getting an offer from one of them. So here's to the snowball and here's to the best lawyer in Salt Lake City! Well, after Melanie... and Mitch... and the other people in our BarBri class who probably paid attention. Okay, so between you and me, you're the better lawyer and you have an offer. Congratulations! We miss you, Cara!