I've had job interviews this week. There's a lot of stress involved -- I have to be charming, I have to be smart, I have to edit on the fly . . . really, it's just a lot to ask. I'm interviewing at intellectual property firms, so mostly it's me and a bunch of guys. Very few women. Very few.
Yesterday I went to lunch with 4 guys from the biggest IP boutique firm in the valley. One guy was totally metro. Case in point: he didn't want to walk one and a half blocks to the restaurant because he had on leather-soled shoes and it had rained earlier (much earlier) that day. He actually showed us the price tag still stuck on the heel because he was so proud of how much they cost. Shoes that you won't wear outside? I thought those were called slippers.
One of the other guys was in my class, and he went right to this firm after graduation. So he's been there almost a year. The other three were giving him a hard time about his hair. Which he totally deserved. It's reddish/orangish/blondish (you know the color) and he's recently started wearing it a lot like Elvis. Bad Elvis. Fat Elvis. Though this guy isn't fat. He explained it by saying that he went swimming the other day and rinsed off in the showers, pushed his hair back, let it dry . . . and, lo, a new 'do was born! Hair by default. Always a safe bet.
One guy appeared to be playing "Which One of These is Not Like the Others." He was a button-down, Elders Quorum President, go-to-church and pay-his-tithing kind of guy. None of which are bad things, of course, I'm just saying he didn't fit in with the other three. I'm just saying! He was very nice and socially-adept. There's so much between the lines there, but what if I get a job offer? I can't very well start my career there with an inflammatory blog entry.
The best part was that we when pulled into our super-close parking spot, downtown and in the construction zone, guess who filled the meter? The guy with the expensive shoes and fancy car? No. Elvis? No. Brother Button-Down? No. The other gainfully-employed, fancy-pants patent attorney? No. Apparently they only carry $1000 bills and gold bullion.
No, the only one who had change was also the only one with a purse.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
yes it ought...one prepared woman to four dapper dans.........I vote for you!
I read all of your posts this afternoon. I feel like we've renewed a wonderful friendship. Best wishes in your job search. You deserve the bests.
One of these people are not like the others one of these people are just not the same. Why that is because you are GREAT!! Best Wishes on the job hunt and I am cheering for you!!!
Post a Comment