Monday, June 30, 2008

New approach

I am pathetic. My kids have been gone for eighteen days. Wow. I really should not have counted that out. Every time they go to their father's for an extended period of time, I make all these grand plans about how I'm going to reorganize the laundry room, paint the garage, sew and hang curtains, sleep, shop, work, swim, etc. etc. Yet every time, I get very little done. I just miss them. They read this blog, so I have to be cautious about how much I reveal, so let's just say that things go a lot smoother when they're here than when they're not.

Last night after church, my parents called to make sure I had dinner and to see if I wanted to hang out with them in their air-conditioned house (my air conditioner is broken and we're having a string of 95+ degrees days, so who knows when I'll get someone out to fix it), but I'd spent most of Saturday with them and figured they needed a break from all that Cara. So instead, I wandered around the neighborhood like a sad puppy. First, I drifted down to my garden to gaze at the three little yellow flowers that have sprouted on my tomato plant. Then I ambled over to the playground. After maybe 10 seconds of that, I got a distinct "You Look Like A Potential Predator" vibe. Luckily, one of my friends that lives close by took pity on me and invited me inside. Probably to prevent someone else from calling the cops. I'm not sure my story of woe would have flown.

"I promise, Officer, I do have children. They're just not here. They're with their dad. Yes, I have full custody. I'm not a bad mom, I swear."

Anyway, this friend fed me and let me hang out over there for a bit. I left there and forlornly walked home -- but another friend invited me in for homemade ice cream and a little Rock Band on the XBox. I didn't play, but I did eat.

You know, come to think of it, it was a pretty decent Sunday afternoon, all things considered! I'll have to remember this tactic next time I'm alone. I think I probably learned it from my Grandpa J.

On another, though equally pathetic note, my mom and I did some shopping on Saturday and I bought a new dress. Because it was $24.75 and who can pass up a deal like that? Not me. Anyway, I was afraid it was a teensy bit trashy for church, particularly with the shoes that I chose, but I wore it anyway. I decided that being a good girl isn't really working for me, so I'm going to whore it up a bit and see how things go.

Just kidding.

3 comments:

Buchanans said...

I thought you looked hot :)

Jer, Er and kids said...

So, I am going to add you! My blog is:

http://jererkids.blogspot.com/

LOVE this post and all your honesty and stories!

auntie libby said...

you can wander over to my house to play anytime! we just usually hang out sunday night. wait to see who will show up for a visit and then we eat carmel popcorn! come!