Dear Homeless Man on 200 East,
You didn't ask me for money, which I appreciate. Not because the asking would have upset me, but rather because I didn't have anything to give you. Surely you heard my children's pleas for ice cream from that genius ice cream truck driver who slowly rolled up and down 200 East all evening, late into the night. I didn't carry any cash out of fear and, as it turns out, I needn't have worried. There were enough police there to defend a small city. Which was precisely the point, wasn't it?
I saw you laughing at us, as we rolled out our sleeping bags and puffed up our (my) air mattress on the little patch of scrabbly grass in the park strip. I mistakenly assumed it was the laugh of a crazy streetperson, but lo and behold, I was disabused of that notion at 3 a.m., on the dot, when the sprinklers sputtered to life, waking us all and soaking us in a matter of seconds. I could only assume you were asleep, curled up next to that building, but I swore I saw you smirk. That's ok, I deserved it, really.
Speaking of deserving things, I wouldn't have minded so much if you'd asked one of your less-civilized buddies to shiv that ridiculous girl with that flapper-clapper thing. Seriously. I know you were as irritated as everyone else on the block when she insisted upon flap-flap-flapping that blasted thing until 2 a.m. You'll be happy to know she didn't do it at all before the parade. Her brother did.
Later that morning, when you said, "Hello, ma'am," as you walked past, I thought we shared a moment. As I struggled awake, crammed on that air mattress with all four of my children, I swear you were watching us protectively, as though you were making sure we were ok before you fled to parade-less regions of the city. I very nearly invited you to share our blanket and watch the festivities; I was even going to buy you a McMuffin. However, I lost my nerve and just said, "Hello, sir," as kindly as I could, because I genuinely hope that whatever misfortune has brought you to your current address of 200 South and 200 East is only temporary. I feel a strange connection with you, Mr. 200 East, because I slept quite nicely in your living room, with the exception of the 3 a.m. shower. If you're still there next year, let's make a deal. You show me where we can sleep without getting soaked and breakfast is totally on me.
Sincerely,
Woman with All Those Kids



10 comments:
Wow Cara, you are either crazy, or the best mom in the world! Sleeping out for a parade with 4 kids. I am so very impressed. Please don't tell my kids because I'm just not that nice.
I really hope that one day I can be as good as a mom as you are! WAY TO GO for putting your life in that 'man on 400 east's' hands! haha. What a memory you created for your kids! So cool.
What cute pics Cara! You are hot sista!
Okay, I'm impressed with how brave you are. Camping out for the parade is NOT my thing... unless it is in a hotel that over looks the parade route. Way to create awesome memories for the kids you brave soul!
How fun for your kids, I always knew you were an awesome mom, and the memories are going to be the best, but I loved the letter to the homeless man. It was funny, and to me it was kind.
You know I think you are an AWESOME mom, but you are an equally amazing person...that letter totally made me cry! (prob. just a hormonal problem...or not ;-) That's definitely one adventure my kids won't have with the wimp of a mom they were born with! GREAT PHOTOS!!
What a perfect Mom you are...and what perfect little kiddies you have! Looks like you had a very festive 24th! You look cute in the cowGIRL hat! :) I'm excited to stalk you in the blogging world now! ;) See ya soon!
Hey I was down there too. Bummer that I didn't see you or the homeless gentleman.
I must say that your letter was so good I had to read it aloud to Hubert and we laughed, laughed like we have never laughed before. Probably somewhat like the "laughter" of your homeless friend, which turned out to be a sprinkler. Isn't that always the way?
Loved the "letter" and the pictures. You are amazing
FYi I more person and youve hit the 5000 visitors mark woohoo
Post a Comment