Thursday, April 30, 2009

Explanation

So here's the realization that I had today.

When I was in law school, I had these four friends that were instrumental, nay, indispensable, in my survival of classes, job interviews, long study sessions, crying jags, finals, and eventual graduation. We were the first Magic Five. I wasn't the smartest of the bunch, nor the hottest, I didn't have the best hair, and I definitely didn't get the best grades. One of the Five was my buddy Jay, who I've mentioned here before. And here. And here. Anyway, Jay and I were the funny ones. And the kind of chubby ones (love you, Jay!! You're so cute in that shirt!! Very flattering!!). Not that the other three aren't funny, in fact, I appreciate Mitch's humor more and more every time I see him, and I pee my pants every time I'm around Melanie. I haven't seen Cassie for a while, but she's always laughing, so obviously she's funny. Or high. However, those three already had the brains, looks, good hair and top-notch grades, so they can't have the funny too. Jay and I have to bring something to the table.

However.

Jay and I had a theory that those persons who are on the slightly chubby side are compelled to develop other talents in order to be appealing. Thus, often the fat kid = the funny kid. And so it was for us.

But now, I've lost some weight. I'm slimming down. I'm wearing fishnets to work. And I'm just not that funny anymore. I wouldn't want to blame it on some introspective nonsense like "Oh Cara, you never really were," or the fact that I'm getting boring in my old age (happy birthday to me on Saturday!! No really, 36 is totally the new 34!). No, the lack of funny is clearly linked to my shrinking backside. Sadly, now I'm in this crazy no-man's-land where I'm not thin enough to be hot and I'm not fat enough to be funny. It's a strange new world.

8 comments:

the Eggett's said...

Funny you should write about this because I totally noticed how you are somewhat of a bore since you got your new rockin bod.

Four Winns said...

I did notice said 'rockin' bod' in your Mexico pictures. Way to go :) It's a shame because I thought you were funny since the day I met you. Although I did meet you at a time when I also thought Alf was funny.

rebekahmott said...

Oh Cara you are funny. I know that I have not been around you for awhile, but you look hot and are still funny and smart I guess some people just get it ALL!!!

Jer, Er and kids said...

You can't lose all your funny because I need it. I am not at all funny and wish I was. I don't know how I didn't get the chubby funny trait it somehow missed me and man I really should have it!!!

Erin Porter said...

It's not that you've lost your funny...you just don't have the right people to be funny with. Don't worry we'll be home in 3 weeks!

Cassandra said...

High, definitely high. :)
Whatever it was, I thoroughly enjoyed and was honored to be your audience!

I'll be back in August. Let's get together so I can check out this fancy new hot bod of yours. If you end up laughing at me in all my baby weight, we might have some pseudo-empirical data upon which to rely.

Noelle said...

I guess you can't have it all... fishnets and man magnet or else funny. Life is so cruel sometimes! --Chad

Jay said...

Hmmmm... I don't know, Cara. I've lost 14 lbs. over the last two months, wore fishnets to work, and everyone thought it was hilarious... the weight loss part, not the fishnets - it's me.

Funny is how God protected us from Darwin's survivalist reality. It's why they always think, "I can't imagine seeing that person naked! What did you say? Hilarious! Okay, take off your clothes."