Friday, February 8, 2008

All this thinking is really taking it out of me

I’ve previously discussed my Diet Mountain Dew "addiction." I put "addiction" in quotes for the benefit of people who read this, but never see me because we live in different states. I’m hoping I can still trick you guys. Those of you who see me regularly, I know, I know, I’m pulling NOTHING over on you. Think back . . . when was the last time you saw me without a 44oz. cup in my hand? Never? That’s right. You’re all on to me, it’s not a quote-y, quote "addiction," it’s a full-blown, check me into Cirque Lodge and take away my refill card dependency. So there. Half the battle is admitting it. I just don’t see the point in fighting the other half of the battle. My boss (the Judge) teases me about my fixation all the time so I told him, "It’s this or meth, you choose." Since having a clerk on meth might affect job performance, we’re going with the DMD.

Anyhoo.

Today I hit the 3 o’clock Friday afternoon wall at about . . . oh, 3 o’clock, so I emailed my friend Melanie and we made a dash for the Mav. I believe I mentioned Mav in the afore-referenced post. It's the only place one can reliably get Diet Mountain Dew on tap (the Judicial Corner downstairs closes at 3pm). We were discussing being tired and realized that as office workers, we don’t give ourselves nearly enough credit for thinking tiredness. You know when you’ve had an emotionally draining week and you’re just exhausted at the end of it? You’re not performing hard, physical labor like building buildings or fishing for sturgeon, but still, by Friday . . . you are done.

So, today, I’m giving myself a break. I’m tired. I’ve been doing some serious thinking this week. There’s no way I can stop working yet, but I’m going to be nice to me for the rest of the day. Maybe even BUY DINNER instead of resorting to the Lean Cuisine that’s waiting for me in the freezer. It’s that or a bit (or is it a line, a rock, a pack, a spoonful, I just don’t know) of meth.

No comments: