Thursday, December 6, 2007

Caffeine-fueled MoJo


We're still battling that nefarious illness around here. Rachel seems to be losing. She's missed the most school and is so sad because she's IN LOVE with her teacher and a day of not seeing Mrs. Petersen is like a day without the sun.
If you could poll all the mothers from the beginning of time, I guarantee you that every single one would agree that throwing up in the toilet is something that is just entirely beyond the abilities of a sick child. No matter how many throw-up pots we have scattered about the house -- near the beds, the couch, halfway up the stairs, in case you're neither up nor down when the urge strikes -- there's been a lot of washing of sheets, pillowcases, pajamas, bathmats and carpets.

Anyway, I've had several successive long nights nursing people back to health so I've been even more dependent than usual on my daily stops at Maverick. The beautiful thing is this: I worked my mojo on the guys who work in the snack bar in the basement of the courthouse....and they just added Diet Mountain Dew to the fountain!! Now, you may not know this, but I am here to attest that finding DMD on tap is nearly as hard as finding a Wii. Ok, no, it's actually not like that at all. However, it is kind of hard and the only place that has it reliably is Maverick...hence, my intimate familiarity with all Maverick locations within a 200 mile radius of my house. I do not exaggerate the radius. As an aside, the guy who whips up the delicious (and wonderfully affordable!!) meals at the Judicial Corner (the official name of the snack bar - witty!) happens to be mostly blind. Which probably didn't hurt me when I unabashedly flirted with him during my "Add the Diet" campaign. Most people would think "Oh, look, how great that he doesn't let something like that hinder him," whereas I thought (unconsciously, of course!), "How can I use this to my advantage?" [Thanks, my Bro, for the idea.]

The picture, which relates in no way to the post, is us on Castaway Cay this summer. We went on the Disney cruise to celebrate my law school graduation and it's cold and dreary here today....so I wish we were there again.

2 comments:

The Plewe Clan said...

I want to go on a Disney cruise!!! So jealous!

terandfamily said...

Steve taught the daughter of your friend at Judicial Corner last year in sixth grade. In fact he is her math teacher this year as well. Don't know if you want to admit that connection though;).