Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Hart Family

When I was a kid, I got a coloring book called "The Hart Family." This coloring book was all about this perfect little family -- a mom, a dad, a son and a daughter -- who were always perfectly dressed, perfectly coiffed (seriously, the mom's hair was ridiculous, these long, flowing locks, beautifully curled and pinned up just so) and perfectly happy. They also took their camera EVERYWHERE. No kidding, in almost every single picture, there was the dad, his trusty camera around his neck or up to his face as he snapped his gorgeous family doing something, well, gorgeous.
It became a standing joke in our family -- a mom, a dad, a son and a daughter -- because my parents never remembered their camera. Ever. My brother Dick's All-Star game? Nope. Graduation? Don't think so. New baby? Negative. So we'd joke and say something about being the Hart family and vow to remember it next time. Which never happened.

The point of this is that luckily for all of us, my brother Dick married Sara. We're all lucky for a myriad of reasons, but one that I really appreciate, in light of our history, is that she is an AMAZING photographer. I know she's my sister-in-law and all, so you could think that I'm biased, but she really is gifted. Also, she likes to take pictures of my kids. Which I love.
So these are a few of my favorites. Dick and Sara are coming up for Christmas (I think Rachel is more excited for them to get here than she is for Santa) and I'm hoping that we'll have time to do a real live photo shoot. I would like a new picture of all the kids and something of The Magic Five (sorry Other Magic Five, you know who you are, but with Cassie gone, it's really just the Four anyway) to hang on my wall.
Thanks Sara, for becoming one of us. We really are the Hart Family now. I just need to start curling my hair. And maybe I could get a husband.


By the way, Sara has a couple of websites where you can look at more of her work:
www.flickr.com/photos/sarabaldwin and http://www.sarajanephoto.com/ if you're in the market for some great pictures of your own children.

2 comments:

Ryan and Megan said...

Hey Cara! Those photographs are really amazing. I love the way she captures things. Amazing. I am so glad you have a blog. I love being able to keep up with everyone via the blogging world!

Sara Baldwin said...

far too kind, cara. i'm just lucky you let me take so many photos of your family. also, doesn't hurt that your kids are so dang flawless! (i'm referring to their looks, that is! hehe, j/k! :)

i recently put some photos from christmas vacation on my new blog: http://www.sarabaldwinphoto.com/text