Saturday, December 22, 2007

Moratorium at the pound, hopefully.

Dick, Sara and MAX got here last night. The kids and I went ice skating (our new favorite pasttime) and we all rendezvoused at my parents' house at about 9pm. The kids, but mostly Spen, fell in love with MAX. We didn't leave until 11pm.

That's right. Those of you who know me well know that bedtime around this house is pretty much a religious experience -- if the kids don't get in bed on time, it's hellfire and damnation all over the place. Ever since Zach a baby, even for the approximately 35 seconds that he was an only child, I've tried to have a fairly consistent bedtime for the kids. At this point, after three more children and a lot more other stuff, getting to bed on time really is just for everyone's safety. Mostly theirs.

But last night, in honor of the Big Event of Meeting MAX and seeing Uncle Dick and Aunt Sara for the first time since the Disney Cruise, we stayed up very late. Nearly New Year's Eve late. As I said, MAX was a big hit. Such a hit that his name is in capital letters forever. Spen can't stop thinking about MAX, talking about MAX, pretending he is MAX, wishing he could play with MAX, hoping he can dognap MAX....you get the idea.

Last week I confessed to my co-clerk, Tom, that I was thisclose to thinking about potentially considering perhaps getting a dog. Maybe. He showed me a website where you can search for dogs based on all these criteria and then we spent the better part of the next five minutes (ok, more like an hour, but we were supposed to be working...) looking at dogs and cooing over cute ones and clicking quickly past the ones that "need a little help with housetraining." I have someone already living here who fits that description.

Then I got a letter from my favorite cousin, Mary. Her daughter wants a real puppy for Christmas. And Sara sent me a link to a ten-month-old Bichon Frise (that's what MAX is) named Minnie that is for sale in Lehi. I think that would be so cute -- MAX and Minnie. Tough call there though...I'd have to drive to Utah County to get her. Probably not worth it. If my ninety-two year old Grandma Jensen were stranded outside, in a snowstorm, wearing only her skivvies, in Utah County, I would drive down there and get her. Once. But if it happened again, she'd be on her own. I hate Utah County.

I digress.

So. The dog. I know my kids would love one, Spen especially. There are a couple of significant problems, however. First, we're gone all day. The kids are at school and I'm at work. As much as I wish I were a stay-at-home mom, I'm not. Second, our house isn't very big and there are already five people living here. Third, we don't have a yard -- much less a fenced yard. For now, until the church behind us is built, we could take the dog out back fairly easily, but as soon as the church is built, potty trips become much more difficult. Fourth, dogs are expensive. I know, I'm some big hotshot attorney now........

Sorry, I fell off my chair laughing. I had more money last year as a third-year law student than I do this year. Clerking for a judge is the greatest job of all time, if you don't have to pay for stuff. Any stuff. House, car, heat, food, shoes. You get the idea.

Anyway, I've about talked myself out of a dog. Again. I'm sure that will all change again when we see MAX tomorrow and he and Rachel are snuggled up together on the chair and I see the pure bliss on her face. Or when Abby sits quietly on the couch (trust me, it's disorienting), tenderly stroking his head as he dozes on her knee. Or laugh at how Spen stands in front of him, hands out, trying not to freak him out but positively aching for MAX to jump and run with him.

Dang it.

2 comments:

Wanna be farm girl said...

hahahahahahahaha you cr hahahahahahahahaha. Enough said!

Sara Baldwin said...

you so need to get a dog. you have a much better setup than we have. it's all about getting one who is house-trained.

also, thanks for letting the kids stay up so late that night. i think dick & i were more anxious to see them (and you!) than they were to see max. :)