Saturday, March 8, 2008

Musings

Things I'm thinking about (in addition to the things I always think about like "How to raise my kids right, how to be a better person, what's for dinner and why do people drive like that?):

1. Trying to find a nanny for the summer. I'm sure that there are lots of smart, cute, energetic girls out there who would happily help me with my children for the bargain price of $750 - $1000 a month, right? Not so much. Rich is going to FLIP OUT when I tell him that's how much I'm going to have to pay. And I know that's way too low. Crap.

2. Trying to decide if going to California is a good idea or a bad idea. It all comes down to what is best for my kids. Staying in Utah seems like the right thing to do (though there's lots of reasons why the "right" thing is not necessarily the "what I want" thing). I'm going to have to find a job here, though. Great . . . if that's the case, put that on the list too.

3. Trying to start running again. I kind of fell off the wagon those last couple of weeks before the Bar. I also fell again (shut it!) while crossing Main and 4th South last week and wrenched my ankle. I swear, it really hurts. I'm not faking. Holy cow. Ask my dad . . . we've got the worst ankles since time began. That was all that prevented me from being an Olympic figure skater. Well, that, and my sizable behind. Can you imagine me attempting a triple Axel? It would defy the laws of physics to get that much weight off the ground. I went this morning and my ankle hurt so much that I only did 2 miles. TWO MILES!! Can you believe how lame that is? What are the odds that if I can run 2 miles today, I can do 4 on Monday, 4 on Wednesday and 12 next Saturday? Good? No.

4. Trying to stop eating so dang much. Unfortunately, in addition to bailing on the running thing, I also developed a severe cereal addiction while studying for the Bar . . . so now I decide to eat multiple bowls of cereal at random times. I have yet to get the guts to bring my box of Lucky Charms/Crunchberries/Life to work, so at least I'm not eating cereal then. However, I more than make up for it when I get home. What is wrong with me?

5. Trying to start dating. Wow. Hopefully nobody who is thinking of dating me is actually reading this thing, because after entries #3 and #4, they'll be thinking of it no longer! Really, it's not that bad, I'm decently cute and relatively well-proportioned . . . if you're a Botticelli fan. Anyway, I'm basically completely mystified about how to date at this juncture in my life. Any tips? I went walking with a friend of mine the other night and I'm telling her about the one guy I've gone out with more than a time or two since I got divorced and the whole time I was talking, I could hear this little voice in my head:

"How old are you? Fourteen? Maybe fifteen? Seriously, why are you blabbering on about 'oh my heck and then he sent me this email and then I was all, like, dude' and whatever else you're saying? Didn't you already have this conversation, oh, TWENTY YEARS AGO? [Editor's note: clearly there was no email 20 years ago, so I think The Voice meant "a note he passed me during health class."] And if you talk about Mav Guy again, I'm going to shoot you."

Shut up, Mr. The Voice. It's as distressing to me as it is to you.

2 comments:

meg 'n' rich said...

CARA!! I tracked you through Holly's blog. This is Megan, or "Shmeg" as you once referred to me oh so long ago! It was fun to run into you at Smith's a couple months ago. So fun to see pics of you and your kiddles! I love your blogs. I can totally hear your voice talking when I read through them. You still sound the same, by the way. Hope all is well!

The Skeen's said...

Oh Cara, I tell you I love your blogs so much they are like medicine for me!!

I love you !!!!!

Linda